Board index Forgiveness

What does the Bible say about forgiveness? How does forgiveness really work?

Forgiveness for the Wicked

Postby Dark Master » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

First of all, I'm a child abuse victim and I have such a deep rooted hatred for my abuser that it might as well be embedded into my soul.

I'm not a Christian but I think my abuser may partially be since they mentioned it before. The issue I'm having here is that they don't seem to acknowledge or regret how they treated me as I grew up and I feel like it has something to do with this religion because of these talks of forgiveness by a higher power. I feel like people see this "Higher Power" is some form of administrative figure above everyone and if they forgive someone for committing such terrible acts it somehow means all must forgive that person.
As if saying my hatred...my rage...means nothing and it puts my abuser at ease to know that they're forgiven. Is that how it is?
Dark Master

Re: Forgiveness for the Wicked

Postby jimwalton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It shouldn't happen to anyone, and it is just a horrible thing to have experience. My sorrow goes with you.

> I think my abuser may partially be [a Christian] since they mentioned it before.

No one can be a partial Christian. Since the Bible says that the way we act is representative of the state of our soul (Matt. 7.20; 12.35; John 14.23-24). Given that this person was a repetitive abuser, it's fair to say he or she was not a Christian. If they claim to be a Christian, it would seem that they are fooling themselves.

> The issue I'm having here is that they don't seem to acknowledge or regret how they treated me as I grew up and I feel like it has something to do with this religion because of these talks of forgiveness by a higher power.

Without repentance there is no forgiveness (Mark 1.4). In the Bible forgiveness is always conditioned on repentance. If this person has no regret and no repentance, no forgiveness will be given.

> As if saying my hatred...my rage...means nothing and it puts my abuser at ease to know that they're forgiven. Is that how it is?

No. 2 Corinthians 5.10 and Revelation 20.13 say that people will be judged according to the works they have done. Our works is not how we get to heaven or hell, but our works will decide the extent of our punishment or reward.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Forgiveness