Board index God

How do we know there's a God? What is he like?

Would God have time for me?

Postby Donkey » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:04 am

Would God have time for me?

I don't want to doubt but why would God have a priority for me when there is other people who preach him more and how does God manage to oversee 8 billion people? Isn't time relative and always goes on? How is it possible?
Donkey

Re: Would God have time for me?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 am

We all have GPSs in our smart phones. We each punch in specific destinations from specific origin points, and we get a map leading us there. And if we go off course, the GPS tries to get us back to the right path or even plots a new route for us.

Why does the computer give you a priority when there are so many other people using the system? How can it oversee 8 billion people?

So, if God is more intelligent than a computer, and is personal (instead of mechanical), there is no reason to doubt He can give you personalized attention. He loves you as an individual and is interested in you as an individual, as He is interested in each one of us.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Fit Bit » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:49 am

Computers often get overloaded when too many users operate. Ask any software developer.

Also, computers have preprogrammed instructions on how to operate. They don't have free will.
Fit Bit

Postby jimwalton » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:34 pm

You don't seem to understand what an analogy is. It's pointing to a similarity to lead someone to a greater understanding. It's a correspondence, not an identical situation in every way. No analogy is flawless; no analogy works in every corner of the argument. For instance, when Jesus said the kingdom of God was like a pearl of great price, he was not implying that the kingdom of God was a small sphere or that it was produced by an oyster.

I did say, if you want to re-read by post, that God is more intelligent than a computer. I wasn't using the analogy to imply that computers don't get overloaded, and therefore God can get overloaded. The analogy is that a computer can "pay attention" individually to millions of people at a time. God, in like manner, can pay attention individually to all people at a time.

Then you launched into free will, as if the analogy had anything to do with that. Maybe do some research into how analogies work, and I'd be glad to continue the conversation.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:34 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to God