Board index Church

What is the church? What's it supposed to be like and why

Why should we go to church?

Postby Starr » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have this question not because I want to be naught or anything of sought. I too am a believer. I believe in God the father of Jesus and the teachings of his Word. I belive that God raised Jesus from the dead, and right now I just want to understand why we aught to go to church and do all we do rather than do it on our own in our inner rooms? What does the bible say about going to Church and why? If anyone would help, i would greatly appreciate.
Starr

Re: Why should we go to church?

Postby Septa » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Hebrews 10

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Spiritual growth, learning, breaking bread in Christ's remembrance, praying for each other, companionship, marrying, helping each other out, sending missionaries etc.
Septa

Re: Why should we go to church?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:16 pm

The regenerated life, characterized by love, patience, goodness, forgiveness, kindness, and peace can only be lived out with others. If it's just you and your inner room, you are failing to live out most of what God gave you to do.

One of the "big deals" about Christianity is community. It's not just a matter of individual salvation, but also about belonging to a community of people, having friends, helping each other out, encouraging each other, and all that stuff. The most important things that the Bible teaches us are about "loving your neighbor as yourself," and if you aren't part of a community of people, you can't learn much of anything about love, especially loving people that are different from you, especially loving people that are hard to love, patience, forgiveness, tolerance, encouraging others, helping others, and learning to be the people of God together. If you aren't part of a community, you probably don't have much of any way to use your spiritual gift(s), whatever it might be. That's why the Bible says, "I want you in community with each other."

In addition, the gifts of the Spirit are given for the common good (1 Cor. 12.7). If you're not in community with other believers, then you can't use your spiritual gifts. The manifestation of the Spirit is His work in the community of His people. the whole point is that the Spirit works gifts us as we are together, not by ourselves. The gifts are for the good of the gathered Church.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:16 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Church