Board index Paul the Apostle

Paul is such an important figure in Christianity. There are many questions about his life and writings and his place in Christian theology.

Is it a common misconception that Paul changed his name from

Postby Ben Franklin » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 am

Is it a common misconception that Paul changed his name from Saul?

Someone on Wikipedia says:

The current version of the article states "Paul the Apostle did not change his name from Saul. He was born a Jew, with Roman citizenship inherited from his father, and thus carried both a Hebrew and a Greco-Roman name from birth. Luke indicates the coexistence of the names in Acts 13:9: "...Saul, who also is called Paul..."." <---- I don't think this is evidence enough to call the naming a "misconception". Acts 13:9 is both the last time Saul is called by that name and the first time he is called Paul. The switch in the text is immeduate and permanent. So while there might legitimately be debate about the relationship between the two names, I think calling the name-change a misconception is much too strong, and this section should accordingly be removed from the article.
Ben Franklin

Re: Is it a common misconception that Paul changed his name

Postby jimwalton » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:05 am

Yes, it is a common misconception. The current version of the Wikipedia article is correct, not the comment some made trying to revoke it. S/Paul didn't change his name. Saul was his Hebrew name and Paul was his Roman name. But after this time (Acts 13.9), S/Paul was known exclusively in the Christian community as Paul, his Gentile name. As far as we can tell from the Acts text, S/Paul always carried both names. I know that for some Chinese students, for instance, they take on an American name for school and their friends (sometimes we can't pronounce their Chinese name anyway), but at home and among their Chinese friends, they are still known by their given name. It was no different for S/Paul. He probably always carried both names for use depending on which circle of friends he was with, but once his ministry began, he was known and called only by his Gentile name, Paul.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Slow Hand » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm

I agree and support this view.
Slow Hand

Postby Dobby » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:49 pm

I think this can be compared to how people "Anglicize" their names to fit into English language conventions.

For example the king of Macedonia known as Alexander the Great was originally known as Aléxandros. Alexander is how the name was modified to fit English.

Similarly, Melania Trump's birth name was Melanija. But she "Germanized" it by changing it to Melania, to better fit the German language conventions.
Dobby

Postby jimwalton » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:59 pm

I get what you're saying, but that's not the case here. "Saul" is a Hebrew name meaning "Asked for." Israel's first king was named Saul. Paul is a Roman name meaning "little; small." It's not just a matter of "Anglicizing" Saul into Paul, or transliterating "Melanija" in Melania. Despite that that they rhyme in English, they don't rhyme in their original languages. In Hebrew, Saul is sha-ool; in Latin, Paul is Paullus. (pronounced pow-oo-lus; Greek Παῦλος, pronounced Pa-oo-los). Hopefully I've demonstrated that they are different names, not just making a name fit a language convention.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Dobby » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 pm

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for explaining. The example of the Chinese students makes more sense with this context.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 pm.
Dobby

Return to Paul the Apostle